Packed with protein and an abundance of other goodies, Spirulina is definitely on the superfood highway.
This amazing blue-green algae contains all nine of the essential amino acids so is considered a complete protein. Spirulina is a pure form of protein that is readily absorbed by the body. For this reason, it is highly valued by athletes, and plant based enthusiasts for an all round boost.
The nutritional benefits of Spirulina are overflowing. Are you ready?
- It boosts the immune system.
- Contains vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, as well as vitamins E and K.
- Has a surplus of chlorophyll, phytonutrients and enzymes.
- Stimulates blood flow improving the quality of red blood cell formation.
- Has a rich component of iron.
- Is loaded with antioxidants, as well as Vitamin B12.
This list of far more extensive but you can see why it’s called a superfood!
Traditional Chinese Medicine categorises Spirulina as cooling and damp so it is especially helpful if you have a warm and dry constitution.
It is found in fresh waters, however much of our oceans and waterways are contaminated so be sure you’re purchasing a clean product.
Spirulina comes in a tablet or powder form. It has a unique earthy, pungent taste. If you choose to use the powder it can be best disguised by adding a teaspoon to a smoothie. Add a banana, a handful berries for a little sweetness, some spinach and you’ll be dancing with vibrant energy. Get creative and add it to salad dressings or cacao drinks.
Choose wisely. Live vibrantly.